800-950-1317 • Contact
The backgrounds of most cast plaques are painted to provide a contrast to highlighted areas. Cast plaques may be painted with standard or custom finishes.
Standard Painted Background Colors
Click here for standard paint colors. Custom-matched painted colors and multiple colors are also available.
Optional hand-rubbed finishes simulate the look of antique bronze or pewter. Recessed areas have multiple tones of brownish black created by hand-rubbing the color from the metal. Raised areas may be left with light amounts of hand-rubbed color, either satin-belted or polished.
- Satin Bronze: Natural metal color with subtle horizontal grain lines.
- Satin Aluminum: Natural metal color with subtle horizontal grain lines.
- Random-Orbital (Bronze or Aluminum): Natural metal color with multidirectional brushed lines, achieved with a random-orbital sander. Ideal surface for plaques mounted in a sidewalk or other walkway subject to pedestrian traffic.
- Polished Finish: Natural metal color buffed to a high luster, obtained by polishing with successively higher abrasives, then buffing with a fine buffing compound.
- Chrome-Plated Bronze: Raised surfaces of the bronze plaque are polished to meet polished bronze specifications. The background of the plaque is kept in its "natural sandblast" state, providing contrast with the polished raised surface. Cast plaques from Matthews International are available with a variety of options that will ensure that your plaque delivers exactly what you're looking for—and creates a lasting impression on all those who see it.
Matthews recommends that bronze plaques have a protective coating applied.
- Diamond Shield® Protective Coating: Available exclusively from Matthews, this clear coat is factory-applied only. With a higher gloss than our clear protective lacquer, Diamond Shield® provides maximum durability in harsh exterior environments where plaques are exposed to salt, pollution, and weather. Diamond Shield® is most popular for exterior applications.
- Matthews Clear Protective Lacquer: Providing a low-gloss appearance, this clear coating was developed by Matthews to inhibit oxidizing. Ideal when matching older plaques or when a lower-gloss look is desired. Clear Protective Lacquer is most popular for interior applications.